Thursday, May 26, 2011

Behind Blurred Eyes

A dear friend of mine was mangled this past weekend, and I did it to them. As I was horsing around on my couch, attempting to become an airplane, I came down on he with a heavy elbow. His left arm snapped off without much fanfare, but he was rendered useless in a single moment. We've had our moments of trouble in the past, a loose screw here, a missing lens there, but this time the damage was irreversible. My  beloved pair of glasses is no more. Though they toughed it out with a splint made from a match and some blue tape on the drive back to Atlanta, I feel a retirement is necessarily to save us both the embarrassment and shame.
I would now like to say some kind words in memorandum of my glasses:
-Their large lenses provided a mostly frame free viewing angle of some of my favorite things like birds and movie screens.
-They were assembled in China, making them more traveled than I.
-Though the lenses were often smudged with greasy fingerprints, they never complained.
-They turned in to sunglasses in the daylight, even if I didn't want or ask them to.
At this point if you wish, I implore you to click this media file and take a few moments to look deeply into the glasses and remember a point in which they made you smile. Please do not look into my eyes though.




No comments:

Post a Comment